The Gilroy Veterans Hall is available for Rent. For more information about renting our facilities and to receive a rental agreement, please call 408.842.3838 to schedule an appointment, or complete the form on the South Santa Clara Valley Memorial District website
6,350 total square feet
Main Hall - 127 dining; 271 assembly
Auxiliary Hall - 54 dining; 116 assembly
History of the Gilroy Veterans Hall
In 1945, members of the Gilroy community service clubs met and decided that something should be done for local veterans, and a 12-member committee was formed to develop a plan. It was decided a building should be dedicated to veterans and they set out to secure property.
Once the property at 74 W. Sixth Street was secured, the South Santa Clara Valley Memorial District was formed. The board spent the next several years raising money through a local tax assessment and the 6,350-square-foot Gilroy Veterans Hall opened on May 25, 1951. The building, which includes a bar, full kitchen, auditorium, meeting room, and garden patio, cost $90,000 including furnishings.
Mayor George C. Milias presided over the opening ceremonies. Lieutenant Governor Goodwin C. Knight dedicated the building with state heads of both the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign War in attendance.
Today four veterans groups use the Gilroy Veterans Hall for meetings. These groups include the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6309, the Auxiliary of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 6309, the American Legion Post 217, and the Auxiliary of the American Legion Post 217.
The Gilroy Veterans Hall is available to all residents of the South Santa Clara Valley Memorial District service area, including all members of the armed forces, non-profit organizations, and the general public.
The District's board of directors is determined to provide a quality, first-class facility to make the community proud.